June 09, 2010

The Tree, by Julie Bertucelli

Trailer

I had some really high expectations for this movie given the fact that it was selected as the closing night in Cannes. The story was not what I was expecting, however, I really enjoyed it. Not only it was touching, but it was also exquisitely acted and filmed. The extreme close-ups of the tree were able to convey the fact that it was not an object but a living organism. In fact, from time to time they even made me feel or wish that the father was truly inside the tree. The combination of those close-ups with the use of shallow focus provided a right amount of fantasy and dream-like atmosphere to the film.

In addition, I thought that the acting of the little girl was phenomenal. She was really talented on staying in character and transmitting to the audience what Simone, her character, was going through.

No comments: