June 09, 2010

South Solitary, by Shirley Barret

The film itself was not what I was expecting for. Throughout the two hours of its screening I went in and out of the story. I especially liked the extreme angles in which the camera was placed in the beginning of the movie. However, having already a certain difficulty to understand Australian accent, I grew restless to the fact that I could not understand a word of what the principal male character was saying. Moreover, I wonder if the scene in which he is seducing the protagonist was meant to be a satire. The whole audience was laughing given the cheesy lines that he was reciting. The use of lighting in this scene was also very cliché. As he began saying more inappropriate things, his face got lost in shadows, making him look evil and dangerous. I also had trouble with some of the paths that the story line engaged or did not engage in. For example, the fact that she found her sheep alive, grown up, and with the costume still on after the horrendous three days of storm was just too unrealistic for me.
I think the movie was too slow and abrupt at the same time; it did not follow a constant or coherent rhythm. Many happening, such as the storm or the seducing scenes dragged on and on. However, moments such as the death of her uncle and the departure of the family seemed too abrupt and undeveloped.

No comments: