June 09, 2010

Police, Advective, by Cornelicu Porumvoiu

This film was the only one I have seeing in the festival so far in which I was about to get up and leave. It might have being that I was expecting something completely different from what I got. I had read that it was a hilarious comedy and after having seen I Whistle If I Want to Whistle, I was very curious about seeing a Romanian film that was completely different from it. However, it came out to be extremely similar to it and, in my opinion, it pushed too much the boundaries, coming out with a film that is extremely difficult to seat through. It seems to be two hours of nothing. The police is involved in a worthless case of teenager kids consuming drugs. There was a maximum of 20 minutes of dialogues all-together. There was barely any editing, in fact, the film was characterized by eye level, medium shots that would extend for about ten to fifteen minutes without anything happening more than the policeman eating or watching over a car.

However, I believe that this film is a significant objection to the politics of police offices and law making. The audience grows restless with the policeman, as he wastes time in a case that should not have as much importance as the one it was give.

No comments: