June 09, 2010

Boy, by Taika Waititi

I left the movie theater with some mixed feelings about this film. I particularly liked the opening scene in which Boy talks directly to the camera. The dialogues in this opening are particularly funny. I enjoy this kind of corky comedies. However, I had such a hard time understanding some dialogues given the heavy accent of the actors.

The way Boy was filmed made the movie look more real. The resolution of the images was not polished like typical Hollywood films, providing a rustic quality that matched the reality that was portrayed. It is always interesting to see the influence that American culture and icons have in remote places of the world. However, I felt that I did not get anything in specific from this movie. I did not walk away thinking about any social or economical commentary that the movie could have made.

No comments: