June 13, 2010

How I Ended This Summer, by Alexei Popogrebsky

I did not particularly like this film because the pace of it was too slow for my taste. Moreover, I had some problems with the story line in general. To me, it did not make any sense that all of the sudden the two main characters wanted to kill each other; and as quickly as that, they became friends again. It was funny that the portion of the film in which the older man is chasing the young one to kill him reminded me a lot of the novel Frankenstein when the monster and master are trying to kill each other in the Antarctic.

Even though I did not feel connected or taken anywhere by this film, there was a specific scene that completely caught my attention. After the young man has contaminated the fish, he is looking through the window at the old man eating. We are watching, like the character, inside the house through the windows when, all of the sudden, the old man looks up and sees us spying on him. The fact that he looks directly to the camera was completely unexpected and took me into the action for a moment. It reminded me of Hitchcock’s film Rear Window in which the killer looks at the audience directly to the eyes before going for the kill.

Even though I did not love it, I thought that the photography of the film and the shots of the grandiose landscapes were beautiful.

No comments: