June 15, 2010

Lake Mungo, by Joel Anderson

If it wasn’t for a classmate that asked whether it was a true story or not, I would still be thinking that Lake Mungo was a real documentary. Given the style, unrecognizable actors, and footage used, I took it for granted that it was one of those inexplicable real stories. The funny thing is that as more home videos appeared to build up the story, I began thinking it was very odd that a family would record so much of their lives. However, further than that, I did not question it.

I think that they were very smart at using good actors that were completely unrecognizable. Their acting did not seem as if they were reciting a script. In addition, the kind of home pictures and home videos they used looked legitimate. I was skeptical about the girl appearing in the footages of the house’s hallway. Based on other horror movies I have seen, I thought that a ghost would probably not look like that, and if it did, it could not be recorded on a video as a tangible object. However, because they revealed that the brother made up those images, some of my doubts went away. After they showed how easily images can be fabricated with computers, I did not buy the whole story even if I kept thinking it was a real documentary.

I have to admit that because the film felt real, the story stock with me after having seen it. I kept seen my reflection on the computer screen and remembering the strange pictures in which the image of the girl would appear.

No comments: