June 15, 2010

The Sentimental Bloke, Raymond Longford

I enjoyed seeing how they managed to convey outdoors, indoors, night, day, and love in a black and white picture by coloring the shoots. In fact, I kept writing down the times they would change from blue to sepia, pink, white, and back to blue. I had not seen before a black and white film that made use of these techniques so intensively throughout the whole film. I also liked, and wasn’t expecting, the use of cinematographic tricks such as the juxtaposition of images and sequences of dreams.

However, I thought the film was extremely long and very episodic. Nevertheless, I thought that it might have being used to educate the population in a certain way. For example, they showed the complete theater performance of Romeo and Juliet. Thus, someone that did not know about this play gained knowledge about Shakespeare from watching The Sentimental Bloke. Bloke.

No comments: