June 09, 2010

If I Want to Whistle, by Florin Serban

This film was very interesting and intriguing. It left me perplex and confused, yet amused throughout its screening. Given the fact that my family lives in Italy, and my mother has being involved with immigrant communities, I knew about the hard conditions and difficulties that Romanians go through when they immigrate to Italy. There is a scary level of racism which is especially astonishing given the fact that it comes from a country that has such a large number of emigrant communities throughout the world. This xenophobia, which is being promoted by political propaganda, is quickly spreading throughout the population. Therefore, I appreciated seeing a film from a Romanian perspective that touched this subject. In fact, I thought that the producer’s respond about the criticism from a member of the audience about Romanian films only portraying and exporting a negative side of their society was brilliant. He explained that this film is an artistic expression meant to bring alive and transmit a sentiment and a reality, “it is not propaganda for a country by any means.”

I liked the fact that the film was very different from what we have come used to see at the cinema. The fact that there was no sound track made it much more realistic, it allowed me to form my own thoughts, feelings, and reactions about the scenes. I liked the fact that there were no leading soundtracks that force conclusions on the audiences. Moreover, a large amount of shots were very long, without cutting or editing between them. This editing and filming style made me feel uncomfortable and somewhat restless as the actors in the scene.

Moreover, learning about the process that went on in the making of this film was also really interesting. The fact that the inmates were cast from actual jails brought the story line, acting, and film to another level.

No comments: