June 09, 2010

Revolución, by Mariana Chenillo, Patricia Riggen, Fernando Eimbcke, Amat Escalante, Gael Garcia Bernal, Rodrigo Garcia, Diego Luna, Gerardo Naranjo..

I was surprised to come across Latin American films among the official selection of the festival. I was especially interested in seeing this Mexican film because very few Latin American movies make it to the big screens in the U.S. Moreover, I wanted to get a taste of how this industry is developing and what kind of new experimental projects are being produced. This film seemed a perfect example of this new wave since it is composed by ten short films made by Mexican filmmakers based on the subject of the Mexican Revolution. I had seen and liked a number of films that were also composed by a collash of short films such as Paris, je t'aime, New York, I Love You, and Tokyo! Thus, I thought that it would be very interesting to see the different interpretations and time periods chosen by ten different filmmakers regarding such a delicate subject as the Mexican revolution.

In general, I thought that the ten short films did not have something that tied them together. They were supposed to be about different vantage points regarding the Mexican revolution, however, some seemed to have nothing to do with it. Even though I was confused and somewhat annoyed by these inconsistencies, I think this movie is a stepping-stone for Latin American films. It is a step away from the brainless telenovelas and closer to a more serious and thought provoking industry. It is great that it had an international exposure, even though it was probably possible only because Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna were among the directors and producers of the film.

No comments: