June 09, 2010

Red Hill, by Prod Patrick Hughes

Red Hill had some interesting and beautiful photograph of the landscape. However, apart from this number of scenes, I did not enjoy the movie whatsoever. As I was watching the movie, I felt as if I had seen it before. I thought the writer/director just smashed together a number of horror movies such as Jack the Ripper and No Country for Old Man. He even said that he first thought about the movie as a man who came out of jail looking for vengeance. That has being done a thousand times. How original.

I also had a hard time with some scenes that were just too cliché. For example, when Jimmy was looking for the “good” policeman under the bridge, there is an extreme low angle shot in which they show Jimmy looking down, full moon behind him. The combination of the scars in his face with the full moon made it look like a woof man movie.

I did jump of my seat every time Jimmy shot at somebody. However, that was only because it was extremely loud. I am sure that if we had watched the movie at a normal volume, very few people would have been scared about the scenes.

No comments: