February 14, 2011

Toy Story 3, by Lee Unkrich

Going through some of my old files, I ran into this little piece I had forgotten to have written and thus never published. I was still in Aussie when I saw this movie, so reading this few lines revived many of the nourishing memories I have from that incredible summer. Coincidently, yesterday I met with some of the people I meet half way across the globe. So I decided to publish it even if it might not be quite updated. Here it is:

I finally went to the world’s largest IMAX. Its size is overwhelming, however, seeing a feature film projected on it did not make me as tired as I was expecting. Being part of the Disney and Pixar generation, and thus having grown up along side of their characters and stories, I could not miss the continuation of Toy Story even if I had not especially liked the previous two.

It was interesting seeing Toy Story with another mind-set. In fact, I was talking about it with my mom and it was interesting to compare our completely different interpretations of the underline meanings of the story. She saw the film as making a stand towards our materialistic culture characterized by not valorizing things and constantly feeling a need to buy something new. Instead, I watched it with my 10-year-old mind-set, seeing it as a lovely fantasy world which I have always secretly hoped it was true.

No comments: